.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Right In Florida

Motto: This is what happens when Insanity and Banality come together.

Name:
Location: North Central Florida, United States

I'm an aging boomer, white male (cue scary music); not religious, mostly conservative. Married to the same woman forever. No kids-by choice (I believe in personal choice in most areas of life). Voted mostly Republican until November 2000 when the national Democrats tried to steal the election in Florida. I promised to never again vote for another Democrat; kept that promise to date.

Monday, September 22, 2014

I once called myself a liberal and I was a good member of the party...until I got kicked out. (parts 1 - 4)

I once called myself a liberal and I was a good member of the party...until I got kicked out. (part 1)

I was against the Viet Nam war when I went into college. I attended a few antiwar demonstrations. That was good and I was appreciated as a fellow traveler. But I was looked upon as one with questionable loyalties when I said I was against the Viet Nam war (as it was then being fought, frankly) but I DID NOT HATE the Military nor despise those who served. This attitude was mitigated because I did everything I could (legally) to not be drafted. BUT I was being monitored as a possible turncoat.


I once called myself a liberal and I was a good member of the party...until I got kicked out. (part 2)

I believed that racism was wrong. I believed that men and women were all equal under the law. I believed in funding the “social safety net” to help the disadvantaged. But I also believed in financial accountability and cost efficiency of every government program, particularly "social" programs. Well, I think I was considered something of a hater, but I was an accountant and at that time financial accountability wasn't an anti-liberal thing.


I once called myself a liberal and I was a good member of the party...until I got kicked out. (part 3)

I believed that marijuana was not a problem (frankly even cocaine) and it should be legalized. Well, we were all on the same page in the party. Good times. Later, upon reflection and observation, I changed my opinion to marijuana was not dangerous but it did have some unacceptable consequences with some users. So, maybe if not legalize, then definitely decriminalize it. Sending users to jail for a toke? Ridiculous!

The right thing to do, I said, was to legalize it and treat it same as tobacco was...then. It would make it safer and provide tax revenues. Win-Win, right?

Well, that was a great recommendation for my fellow Liberals...at the time. How forward thinking, how logical, how....superior we were to all the neanderthals. But then my fellow Libs came down on tobacco smoking with a vengeance and forced smokers into ghettos and to stand out in the rain to smoke, while at the same time still claiming that potheads had better rights not to be bothered, it was all personal choice. I found that to be incongruous and said so. This was not appreciated.


I once called myself a liberal and I was a good member of the party...until I got kicked out. (part 4)

I wasn't religious but I DID NOT DESPISE those who are believers; in fact I expressed love for many of them.

Okay, now it was pretty certain I was in fact some kind of religious kook even though I rarely went into a church. BUT at that time even a few liberals attended church and expressed some nominal religious convictions that even involved the Christian bible so I wasn't called out on that.

Oh, and even a very few of fellow travelers were against abortion on moral and religious and biblical grounds.

(I know, hard to believe, right? I swear it's true. But remember this was before the Liberals/Democrats forbade true believers from the top echelon of leadership.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home